Author Notes: Toasted coconut and toasted oats in a classic shortbread. Can it get better than that? - QueenSashy
Makes about 44 cookies
- 1 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325° F convection (or 350° F for a regular oven).
- Spread the oats out on a baking tray and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes. Let the oats cool completely and then process in a food processor, until powdery.
- Spread the coconut out on a baking tray and toast in the oven until golden and crunchy, for about 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Allow to cool completely.
- Beat the butter with sugar until creamy. Stir in the oats, flour, coconut and salt. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface and pat it into two logs, about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs up in plastic wrap and refrigerate until very firm, at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F convection (or 350°F regular bake). Slice the dough into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick the top of the shortbreads with a fork. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Slide the parchment onto a wire rack and let the shortbreads cool.
- The shortbreads can be kept in an airtight container for about a week.