If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A sweet zucchini preparation I learned on my grandparents' farm during the summer when I was growing up. The recipe I've adapted it from is long since missing---this is my best re-creation of the recipe we made growing up. —Sarah (The Yellow House)
Makes 1 9 x 12 inch baking dish- sized crumble
For the crumble base & topping:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 8 ounces cold unsalted butter, cubed
For the sweet zucchini filling:
- 4 cups zucchini, halved lengthwise, seeded if the seeds are large, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and brown sugar for crumble. Cut the cubes of butter into the mixture with your fingers, until the flour, sugar, and butter form a crumbly base that sticks together if you squeeze it in the palm of your hand. Chill the mixture until you're ready to assemble.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a wide pan with a thick bottom, stir together the zucchini, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon for the filling. Turn on the heat and bring it to a boil. If the zucchini releases a lot of water, reduce the mixture to a high simmer and until the mixture boils down a bit. The resulting mixture should be zucchini slices suspended in a liquid that's a bit syrupy but not too thick. Remove from heat.
- In a 9 x 11 or 9 x 12 inch baking dish, spread half the crumble mixture and firmly press it down in the dish, covering the bottom 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep crumble.
- Spoon the slightly cooled zucchini mixture on top of the crumble bottom.
- Top the zucchini mixture with the rest of the crumble topping. Smooth it gently with your hands or a wooden spoon.
- Bake the crumble in the preheated oven for 30 to 50 minutes, until the top is deep golden brown and the zucchini mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes, and serve. Can also be served at room temperature.
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Things are feeling corny (and figgy and carroty and...)
This week's best #f52farmstands.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our recent favorite recipes.
Have a ball (jar).