Author Notes: As promised: another recipe to use up our seemingly endless supply of zucchini.
BUT, this recipe actually features peaches. As a part of the Lady Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge, we were enticed to create a dessert using both peaches and cream.
A woman in my yoga class tipped me off that Red Haven peaches were available from the “peach lady” at our local farmers’ market. So of course I made a flying trip up there to get some! We are so fortunate to have our Michigan neighbors to the north just 25 minutes away, where we have access to their wonderful blueberries, cherries, apples and peaches.
While I can certainly get excited about peach pie, cobbler or smoothies, I have to say that my favorite way to eat a peach is to hold over the kitchen sink and dive into it whole. The juice just drips off my chin and runs down my arm, yet I enjoy every minute of it.
But I do love me some zucchini bread with all its variations (such as my Blueberry Lemon Zucchini Bundt Cake), so peaches just seemed to be the right choice in making an upside-down version. This cake is SOOO moist and tender, covered with a sticky peach pecan topping and served with a cool and fluffy peach liqueur cream.
I always give away most of the desserts that I make, so that they don’t take up permanent residence on my behind; but I have to say that I was very sad to see this one go. It’s a winner!
Got peaches? Check out the links below for some unique recipe ideas from my fellow Dessert Challenge participants.
For Jazzy Gourmet video tips on making fresh whipped cream, click on this link: How to Make Fresh Whipped Cream. - Sherry K-Jazzy Gourmet
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups +1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups grated zucchini (unpeeled)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2-3 large peaches, sliced (unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon peach liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the sides of a nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray. Put flour, cinnamon, allspice, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk together completely. Combine eggs, 2 cups sugar, oil, ½ cup cream and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a large bowl. Add zucchini and mix well. Add wet mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour melted butter into the Bundt pan. Layer brown sugar evenly over butter. Toss the peach slices with remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice and arrange over brown sugar. Sprinkle with pecans. Pour the zucchini batter into the pan over the pecans.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- In the meantime, whip the remaining ½ cup of whipping cream in a chilled bowl till soft peaks form. Add remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar and peach liqueur, and continue to whip until firm peaks form.
- Loosen sides of the cake with a nylon spatula. Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over the pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over the cake a few minutes so that all the gooey topping falls onto the cake. Then remove the pan to reveal your masterpiece! Serve warm with the whipped cream. Store cake loosely covered.