Author Notes: This is a melange of rice pudding recipes that I have collected over years of enjoying rice pudding. Soaking the raisins in rum is a direct "lift" from Ina Garten's recipe in one of her wonderful cookbooks. Separating the eggs is a trick from a recipe my Mom got from her former hair stylist. I add extra vanilla just because I'm a vanilla nut. This works fine with milk, half and half, cream. - Lizthechef
Serves 6 portions
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon best quality vanilla extract
- seeds from one vanilla bean
- 2 cups cooked and cooled basmati rice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- dashes freshly grated nutmeg
- Soak raisins in rum while cooking, then cooling rice.
- Separate eggs. Beat yolks. Add sugar, salt, half and half, vanilla extract and seeds, raisins (and rum) and cooked rice.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Turn into buttered, shallow baking dish, sprinkle with nutmeg and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Amanda and Merrill's Best Rice Pudding