Author Notes: I savor this every time I have ripe tomatoes and eggplant which seems to happen almost every week starting in July. Its a perfect side dish or works as a light dinner on its own. The recipe is inspired by our community garden newsletter where gardeners are always looking for creative ways to use our produce. Be sure to use thin skinned eggplant which is more edible than its thicker skinned, more oblong cousin. - Kate's Kitchen
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced 1/4 - 3/8 inches thick
- 2 Japanese Eggplant
- 4 slices Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice Japanese eggplant lengthwise so you have 4 pieces. Using a small knife cut diagonal slices into flesh of eggplant. Do not cut all the way through the eggplant.
- Coat eggplant with olive oil, gently rubbing it in the flesh along with the smoked paprika. Make sure the skin side gets coated with olive oil too.
- Bake until eggplant starts to soften - about 15- 25 minutes. Take out of oven and top eggplant with tomato slices. Put cheddar cheese on top of tomato and cook until cheese is lightly melted 3-6 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe