If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently started Mark Bittman's VB6, flexitarian lifestyle, which calls for eating vegan before 6pm. It's going well, especially with all the abundant fruits and veggies in the summertime, specifically my father's beefsteak tomatoes which are amazing and growing like weeds. Before VB6 I would've been making these with mayo and bacon but this is a nice, healthy alternative. I've taken to making this for breakfast or lunch. It's so good sometimes I eat it for both. —pigisyummy
Makes 1 tartine
- 2 pieces rustic or whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 sprig basil
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 beefsteak tomato (heirloom would be great too)
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Slice the tomato into 2, 1/4" thick slices. If the tomato is small in diameter, cut 4 slices.
- Spread 1 tsp of dijon mustard onto each slice of toast.
- Top each slice of toast with 1/4 of the avocado and gently mash/spread the avocado using a butter knife to cover the slice. You want to leave some chunks.
- Tear up some of the basil leaves and sprinkle them on top of the avocado.
- Top with the slices of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and eat open faced.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.