If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My New Year's resolution is to spend less money on better quality food and ultimately to create less waste...I can be rather indulgent about shopping and cooking...often spending money on things I don't need because I get a recipe in my head or because I just grab shiny objects and throw them heedlessly into my grocery cart. We are a two person household and alot of the time I cook for four or even six..which means either we eat more than we should or it lingers in the fridge being picked at and eventually tossed usually both. Here is my 1 chicken 3 ways. One of the ways being a chicken stock, which I did not include. These seasoning are really basic, and can vary based on what in usually in your house, and what flavoring you like I've used my standby pantry items and the fresh herbs I always have. And will be just as likely change it up..by making chicken curry with the thighs one week and frying the legs breasts another. —Aliwaks
Serves 2 three times
Crispy Skinned Chicken Breast with Gremolata sauce
- 1 big fat free range chicken
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- .5 cups chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Chicken liver
- 2 small slices county bread
- There are two ways to accomplish this first step. 1. If you have a nice butcher ask them to breakdown the chicken for you as Boneless Breasts (with Skin) and legs & thighs, have them give you every thing else as well. Or you can bone it yourself, which takes practice but I find I can do it in just a few minutes. You want to end up with 2 boneless chicken breast with skin, 2 thighs, 2 legs + all the bones for stock
- Separate the bones, and store in freezer for later use in chicken stock ( Sometimes I set up a stock before I got to sleep). Set legs and thighs apart for 2nd recipe, the chicken stock being your third use.
- Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper, 1/2 the lemon zest & 1/2 the garlic, rosemary& red pepper flakes and let sit for at least 1/2 hour but over night is fine too. If you have them in fridge, remove about 5 min or so and let them sit so the heat doesn't shock the meat too much
- .Pat breasts dry with paper towel or whatever you use, heat cast iron till very hot with add tbs olive oil...place breasts skin side down
- Let cook @ 4-5 minutes then transfer to oven, do not turn over..cook another 8 or so minutes till done
- While chicken is in the oven...mix together parsley,, remaining garlic, lemon zest..season with salt & pepper
- Sautee chicken liver in hot pan with a bit of fat till done, remove from pan, add a bit more oil, toast bread slices on both sides, smear cooked liver on top..add a few flakes good salt and crack of fresh pepper...eat both by yourself or share with the person you are cooking for
- remove chicken from the oven, flip over the breasts so they are skin side up, carefully pour wine into pan, and stir abit to get any fond that in there, reduce a bit then remove chicken breasts to rest and stir in parsely/lemonzest/garlic...add squeeze of lemon juice, taste..season
- Slice Chicken on bias, sauce over chicken and, serve with soft creamy polenta and a good deal of sauteed escarole or kale.
Sticky Chicken Thighs & Legs
- .5 cups dark honey
- .5 cups tamari
- 1 teaspoon sriachi
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon Orange juice
- 3 Big Fat Scallions
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Mix the first 3 ingredients..add chicken legs and thighs.. marinate for at least a day...(if you make the breast on monday..and the legs and thighs on wednesday you could prep all at once)
- Pre heat oven to 400 remove chicken from marinade, pat dry, put in roasting pan...roast for 20 -30 minutes till done & crispy (alternatively you can grill these)
- heat marinade in small heavy bottom sauce pan to a bring to a boils, lower heat and reduce by half
- remove chicken from oven place in bowl, pour reduced sauce over the chicken peices, roll them around a bit till fully covered then sprinkle with lots of sesame seeds..serve with sticky rice and baby bok choy..lots of napkins
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best New Year's Resolution Dish
The Spice is Right
Recipes that put a dent in that za'atar stash
Za'atar: the spice with zip.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
The knots you should know.
Have a ball (jar).