If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tomatoes and all things fresh at this time of year inspire all sorts of good flavors. I created a fresh tomato pizza pie using a wonderful pastry crust. The only pastry crust that is ever faithful to me is Julia Child's. Sometimes I get lazy and go with what ever is in the recipe I am trying to work with but always kick myself that I didn't go with Julie's. Quick easy and reliable. I always use the sugar version for my pies and tarts but I used the "just salt" version and this pie came out so wonderful. - Jane Spaz
Serves 4 for appitizer or 1 for an entre
Regualar all purpose flour, cake flour, unsalted butter, veggie shortening (Crisco), salt and ice water. You will end up with an extra dough ball to use another night. It stays fresh in fridge for a week or freese for a couple of weeks.
- 1 1/2 cups measured all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup very cold butter diced in small pieces
- 1/4 cup very cold Cisco
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- In a Cuisinart put all flour and salt. Pulse a few times to mix dry ingredients well. Add diced butter and pulse several times until it resembles corn meal. Add Crisco and pulse again several times until well incorporated. Now turn on Cuisinart and slowly add ice water. Allow dough to turn into a ball. Turn out the ball on a floured surface and with the butt of your hand smear the ingredients to finish kneading. Cut dough in half and form nice balls and wrap in plastic and put in refrigerator for at least an hour to rest dough and become very firm
Tomatoes, fresh herbs, EVOO, sea salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and diced hot pepper
- 4 -5 large tomatoes (I used 2 yellow and 2 red ) Thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh chopped herbs ( I used basil, dill and parsely
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 dashes sea salt
- 2 good grinds of good pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan or other good hard Italian cheese
- 1 chopped hot pepper of your choice
- Heat oven to 425 and put a pizza stone in oven to thoroughly heat. I am not using a stainless steal plate instead of stone. After dough has rested for at least an hour roll it out in a large oval onto a piece of parchment paper and place back in fridge while you prepare the tomatoes - 10-15 minutes. Just keep dough as cold as possible and don't leave sitting on the counter too long or it won't be manageable for you. With 1 tablespoon of the xvoo smear it over the rolled out dough. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the cheese over the oil then arrange the tomato decoratively in a circle fashion leaving about 2-3 inches for the edges. Sprinkle the remaining cheese, little more salt and the ground pepper, sprinkle the fresh herbs and finish with last tablespoon of oil. Pull up the sides of the dough to create a nice rolled edge so that while cooking tomato juices wont' flow out. Add a little water to an egg yolk and brush the edge of the pie then sprinkle with a little more sea salt. Cook pie on the parchment for 20 minutes or so until crust is nicely brown and tomatoes have a nice cheesy crust.
Make It a Party
All tacos, all the time.
All tacos, all the time.
Let Them Shine
DIY Herb Rub
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easygoing banana bread.