If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We have a fabulous fig tree, it produces just enough fruit to all of the sudden have a LOT of figs in the house, but not enough to start putting up pots of jam. After the initial joy of laying under the tree and biting into a sun warmed fig wears off, I grill them, I roast them we eat them on toast with ricotta and in salads, with honey & yoghurt.
Last night I made Fig Ice cream with Creme Fraiche ( I'd give you the recipe but honestly it didn't come out the way I wanted it to, not an epic fail but not Food52 worthy either) and I wanted something cake-y yet quick to go with. I thought of a dutch baby, but I wanted to play around a bit....I had some 00 flour, some olive oil.. and it just didn't seem real Dutch, it was more of an Italian Baby or a Bambino, The Bambino... with fresh figs & fig ice cream. - Aliwaks
- 1 cup "00" flour or Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar + 1 Tbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon or so cracked black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup olive oil + 3 TBS
- Zest from 1 Orange or Lemon
- juice form orange or lemon
- 6 Fresh Figs- sliced half + 2 for garnish
- Whipped cream, creme fraiche or ice cream
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, black pepper)
- Whisk together wet (buttermilk, egg, 1/2 cup olive oil, orange zest)
- Add wet to dry, whisk them together, let sit about hour
- Heat cast iron pan in broiler til it's wicked hot (a drop of water should bounce sizzle and evaporate)
- Pour 3 tbs Olive oil into pan with the halved figs
- a minute later, pour batter into pan
- Broil for about 10 minutes until it puffs up ..sprinkle remaining sugar on top and broil until it's a bit sticky and lightly charred
- Squeeze orange or lemon juice over top
- Serve warm with fresh figs & dollop of ice cream or creem fraiche or whipped cream or yoghurt and Drizzle of honey if you want OR can caramelize the figs in a bit of honey & black pepper and pour the batter
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.