If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Three superfoods join forces here in these tasty burgers. We like them wrapped in freshly cooked phulka roti, but they're just as good in a light bun, lightly toasted. I happen to love pickles, so I put them in both the patties and the tahini-based first cousin to tartar sauce. Enjoy! ;o) - AntoniaJames
Makes 6 medium patties
- 2 cups tinned salmon, well drained, and small bones removed (or lightly poached salmon, flaked)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup pecan pieces (or walnuts, though pecans seem more flavorful)
- 1 tablespoon quinoa flakes (or quick oats)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon Dijon or similar mustard
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped dill or sweet pickle (to taste)
- Zest of one lemon, grated or finely chopped
- Grapeseed or olive oil for frying
- Phulka roti or other flatbread, or brioche or other buns for serving
- Garnishes such as arugula or watercress, and tomatoes
- *** *** FOR THE SAUCE *** ***
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon fruity olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill or sweet pickle
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, mix together the salmon and flaxseed, mashing the salmon somewhat. Add the cooked quinoa and stir to combine.
- In a food processor, gently pulse the nuts four or five times to break down into small bits. (Or, chop them with a knife.) Add to the bowl with the salmon.
- Lightly beat the egg with the Worcestershire sauce and the mustard.
- Add the quinoa flakes or oats to the bowl with the salmon, along with the beaten egg, scallion, celery, chopped parsley, chopped pickle, lemon zest and a generous pinch of salt. Stir well to combine.
- Form into patties – you’ll need to squeeze it together tightly with your hands -- and set aside, lightly covered, for 5-10 minutes.
- While the patties are resting, make the sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients. Test for salt and correct if necessary.
- Heat a skillet to medium, and add about a tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot (4 or 5 seconds), fry the patties for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove the cover, gently flip the burgers over and cook for another 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve in wraps using phulka roti or other flatbread, or on light buns, lightly toasted, with a generous dollop of sauce and tomatoes, salad greens, etc.
- Enjoy!! ;o)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.