If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother used to make this cake for holidays when I was a child. It's a basic pound cake, but there is no creaming in this recipe, which results in flat, thin layers as opposed to light, fluffy ones. The preferred jelly is apple, but really, any will do. For best results, make the cake a few days ahead so that jelly can be absorbed by the cake layers. (Picture will be forthcoming when I make one again.) - walkie74
- 4 layer cake pans
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 sticks of butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 jar of apple jelly
- To make the cake:
- Butter the cake pans or treat them with non stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients into the mixer.(you may want to drape a kitchen towel over the mixer for the next step.) Blend for five seconds.
- Stop mixer and add half the butter pieces. Blend butter in, then add the rest of the pieces. Keep mixer running and add eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next. Add milk slowly, then add flavoring
- Once all ingredients are blended, pour mixture into cake pans. Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes per layer, or until layers are golden around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow layers to cool in pan, then turn out onto a clean dish towel or cooling rack.
- To assemble the cake:
- Place the bottom layer of the cake onto a serving platter. Spread apple jelly over the layer, then place the next layer on top of it. Continue until all the layers are used up. Frost cake with the rest of the jelly, then serve to an appreciative audience.
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends
Genius, explained at last.
Books We Love
My New Roots, by Sarah Britton
Style with a breeze.