If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These veggie burgers are a little bit spicy, thanks to a mixture of paprika, cumin, and chili, and a little bit sweet, thanks to fresh summer corn. They've got texture, taste, and tons of nutrition, too. —Gena Hamshaw
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups (or 2 cans) cooked black beans, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper or red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2/3 cup quick oats or bread crumbs, plus extra as needed
- 3/4 cup fresh (or frozen and thawed) corn
- Sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil for eight to ten minutes, or until golden, soft, and fragrant.
- Add 2 cups of the beans, the cumin, the paprika, the chili powder, the sea salt, and pepper to taste. Stir in the sauté pan till all is warm.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Add the oats to the bowl of a food processor and pulse them a few times. Add the onion, garlic, and bean mixture. Process everything together, until it's well combined but still has texture.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the last cup of black beans and the corn and mix well with your hands. Check for seasoning and season to taste. If the mixture is too mushy to form into patties, add a little more oats or bread crumbs.
- Shape mixture into four large or six smaller patties. Transfer burgers to a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (or until golden), flipping once through. Alternately, you can chill them for twenty minutes before transferring them to a grill and cooking through. You can also pan fry them in olive oil until golden on each side.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Just Butter Isn't Better
Why making your own ghee is worth it
Make your own ghee.
The dreamiest foods around.
Stop slamming salad.
A can-do tool.