If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple, comforting, everyday meal from my childhood. This dish remains a top request whenever I go home to Mom and Dad's. Substitute ground turkey for pork, or leave the meat out for a vegetarian option. - Jacqui MacKenzie
- 4 small eggplants
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the eggplant*: Preheat oven to 350. With a knife, poke 5-6 holes around each eggplant. Place eggplants directly on center rack and bake until they are soft to the touch, about 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your eggplants. Let eggplants cool completely, then carefully peel skin off the eggplant. Flatten each eggplant with a fork so that it fans out into a wide teardrop shape. Season with salt and pepper, set aside. *You can also grill the eggplant over medium-high heat until soft.
- Prepare the pork mixture: Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic until soft and fragrant, 3-5 minutes. Add ground pork and cook about 10 minutes, or until the meat is completely cooked through. Stir in oyster sauce until coated. Drain meat and set aside in a bowl.
- Make the omelets: In a small bowl, beat 1 egg. In a larger, separate bowl, beat the remaining 3 eggs and combine with the pork mixture. Take one eggplant and dip into the single beaten egg so both sides are coated. In the same pan used for the pork, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the egg-soaked eggplant, then spoon 1/4 of the pork/egg mixture over the top. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, or until the bottom of the eggplant has set. Drizzle a bit more egg over the top of the eggplant, then flip over and cook about 1.5 minutes on the other side. Set aside on a serving plate. Repeat with remaining eggplants. Serve with white rice.