If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A basic chicken soup recipe that can be adapted depending on what you have in your fridge and cupboards. —Rachel Phipps
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- 1 Leek, halved lengthways and sliced
- 2 Celery Sticks, chopped
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 5 cups Boiling Water
- 2 Handfuls Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup Brown Rice, Soup Pasta or Broken Noodles
- Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
- Add the stock and the chopped garlic to a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, add the chicken breast and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a very large pan and gently fry the vegetables for about 10 minutes until they are soft. Set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it to a chopping board and pour the liquid into the large pan with the vegetables returning it to the heat. Use two forks to shred the chicken (this should be pretty easy) and add it to the pan also.
- Season with lots of salt and pepper, add the thyme and the brown rice. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and leave to simmer with the lid on over a medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes - serve with crusty bread if desired and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).