If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spicy and filling, this soup makes a satisfying meal fit for a tailgate or just game watching! - inpatskitchen
Makes about 5 quarts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille or another spicy smoked sausage
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 14 to 15 ounce can plum tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (I used 26-30s)
- Cayenne pepper to taste, if desired
- Cut the sausage into a 3/4 inch dice. Remove any excess fat from the chicken thighs and then dice them about the same size as the sausage.
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart or larger soup pot and add the diced sausage. Once the sausage starts to render some fat, add the diced chicken and saute until the chicken loses some of its' "rawness".
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery , garlic, paprika, basil, oregano and thyme and continue to saute until the vegetables soften.
- With clean hands, crush the tomatoes and add them to the pot. Give it a stir and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the soup up to a boil and then down to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and taste the soup. This is where you'll decide if you want to add a little cayenne pepper. My sausage was very spicy so I added less than 1/4 teaspoon. It's up to you.
- Bring the soup back up to a simmer, add the shrimp, put a lid on the pot and turn the heat off. The shrimp will cook within a couple of minutes. If you're making the soup early in the day, add the shrimp after re heating.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.