If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sweet + savory soup was a delightful accident from two fall seasons ago. When attempting to make a similar soup with orange, I caught snag when I noticed that I had no OJ. Naturally, cooking in autumn meant that I had an apple on hand and it turned out to be the far superior fruit pairing for the carrots. I've tried veggie stock as a replacement, but I prefer the savory flavor that chicken stock imparts. I have also found the flavors to be more pronounced once it's cooled, but its a fall soup, so one should eat it hot if it's getting chilly out. - raisedbycoffee
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch bits
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and quartered (I recently used Fuji, but the soup would fare well with another sweet apple, like McIntosh or Cortland)
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- fresh tarragon sprigs (garnish)
- Greek yogurt (garnish)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion, and saute until the onion is soft and somewhat translucent., about 8 minutes
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the apple pieces to a blender and, working in batches, puree the soup until very smooth. Return soup to the pot; stir in the brandy and tarragon. Simmer for another 5 minutes to let the flavors incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve either hot or at room temperature. Garnish with a sprig of tarragon and a dollop of Greek yogurt, to add some tang to you sweet and savory.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.