If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This typical Roman style ring cake is a very familiar cake variety my famiglia made for every day enjoyment. Simple ingredients with a light citrus flavor, this is a classic cake that you will soon want becoming a tradition for your family.
Note: This is my slightly adapted recipe from the original version by The Cake Duchess (www.cakeduchess.com) Food blogger, Lora likes to keep things simple just like I love to do. - cucina di mammina
Makes 1 ring cake
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1-2 lemons; zested
- 1 large orange, zested
- 4 eggs, separated and set at room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- large granular decorating sugar or confectioners sugar for dusting
- Butter and flour generously, a metal tube pan or bundt ring pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place melted butter aside until needed. In a medium deep bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add both the zest of the lemons and the orange to the flour mixture.
- In your stand mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until they form very stiff peaks that stay in place. Remove the whites to another bowl, in the stand mixer bowl, beat the yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Add in about half of the flour mixture and blend. Add in the melted butter and beat for about a minute or two. Mix in 1/2 of the milk and vanilla until well blended. Add in the remaining flour and the milk and allow to mix until done.
- Remove the mixer bowl from its stand and gently and slowly fold in some of the whipped egg whites, being careful not to over mix here. Continue adding the whites in segments until all the whites become incorporated into the final mixture.
- Pour the finished batter into the prepared ring pan; decorate the top with the granular sugar if desired and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the torta is light golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Serve immediately; dust with confectioner's sugar if you wish to add a bit more sweetness prior to serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
Recipe of the Day
Grilled Brie Sandwiches With Honey, Pistachio, and Kale Pesto
Shop Spring Cleaning
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart