If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This easy colourful show stopper side will get many oohs and aahs from your guests.Two elegant vegetables in one plate! Beautiful fall colours are well paired together as flavourful spaghetti squash and asparagus are dressed with aromatic basil, parsley and garlic, sharp parmesan cheese and topped with crunchy almonds. - Marisa R
- 1 whole spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise
- 1 bunch of washed asparagus, ends snapped off
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 garlic peeled, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Oven Method: Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, cut side down in a 375F oven for 30min until flesh can be pierced easily with a fork/knife. Meanwhile: Cut asparagus into 2"-3" pieces and place in a skillet with 1" of water bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer for 2-3 min. *They should be crispy to bite. Drain and shock in ice water to stop cooking. Set aside. Preparation: Remove squash from oven and cool to the touch. Using a fork, remove seeds, discard. Shred the squash with the fork to remove the fine strands and place in a large enough bowl and mix the squash to separate all the strands. Add most of the dressing and all of the Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat add extra salt & pepper if desired. Place decoratively on a platter, mounding in the center. Dress the asparagus with the remaining dressing and taste for seasonings. Place around the squash as in the picture. Sprinkle toasted almonds over all of the vegetables.Enjoy with love!
- Microwave Method: Place squash cut side down on a microwaveable dish add some water (1/3 cup) to the plate. Microwave on high for approx. 10 min checking every 5 min until it is done. (When you can pierce flesh easily with a fork/knife). Follow the rest of the recipe as the Oven Method.
- Dressing: Meanwhile mix all remaining ingredients together(except for almonds) and allow to marinate. This can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator. *The olive oil will become solid and you can either use it solid because the hot veggies will melt it or bring to room temperature. Then mix in.
Toasting Amonds 101:
- 1/3 cup almonds
- While the squash bakes. Place almonds in a shallow oven proof dish. Bake for 10-15min until they are fragrant. Shake the pan half way through cooking to distribute heat evenly to prevent scorching.
- Allow to completely cool. Place in a small sealable baggy and coarsely crush with a meat pounder or bottom of an empty wine bottle. This can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side