If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Being vegetarians of course means that we have tried our fair share of veggie burgers. There are a gazillion meat substitute products out there, but we prefer a straight up delicious veggie burger. The flavor and texture of the beetroot is essential and affects everything in the burger. We have added feta cheese for extra flavor, but you could sub it for tofu as well. —Green Kitchen Stories
Makes 6 to 8 burgers
- 3 cups grated beets (about 4 to 5 beets)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (we prefer cold-pressed)
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if you prefer)
- 7 ounces sheep's feta cheese or firm tofu
- 1 handful fresh basil, leaves picked
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee or olive oil, for frying
- Peel and grate beets, onion, and garlic on a box grater or use a food processor with the grating blades attached.
- Place the grated vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, eggs, and rolled oats and mix everything well.
- Add sheep’s cheese or tofu, basil, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes, so the oats can soak up the liquid and the mixture sets (this step is important for the patties to hold together).
- Try shaping a patty with your hands. If the mixture is to loose, add some more oats.
- Form 6 to 8 patties with your hands.
- Grill the burgers a couple of minutes on each side – or fry them in a frying pan by heating a knob of coconut oil or ghee and fry until golden on both sides.
- Serve with grilled sourdough bread and toppings of your choice (lettuce, cabbage?, mango, avocado?, tomatoes?, sprouts, and onions).
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.