If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love how the sweetness of the walnut vinaigrette plays off the bitterness of the endive. This would be a beautiful accompaniment roast chicken or duck at your next dinner party. —Sarah | strawberryplum
Food52 Review: WHO: Sarah Fioritto is a restaurant server, food blogger, and avid home cook living in Minneapolis.
WHAT: A dinner party-worthy side dish that's simple and quick.
HOW: Roast your endive, make your vinaigrette. Drizzle and serve.
WHY WE LOVE IT: We love how the bitterness of the endive gets tamed by the hot oven; it gets mellow and soft and caramelized, a perfect counterpoint to the tart, nutty vinaigrette. Not only does it look elegant, it tastes great at room temperature too -- making it perfect for entertaining. —The Editors
For the Roasted Endive
- 12 Belgian endives
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the Walnut Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim the bottoms of the endive and cut each one in half, lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Toss to evenly coat and arrange the endive cut-side down. Roast until tender and browned in spots, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Slowly whisk in the walnut oil, creating an emulsification. Stir in the toasted walnuts. Taste. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the endive to a serving platter and spoon some of the vinaigrette over the top. Any remaining vinaigrette can be passed at the table or saved to dress a salad.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side