Author Notes: A spicy and savory twist on a classic dish - with a little fall inspiration. - Kimber Brown
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Organic Whole Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 cup Fresh Pumpkin Puree
- 2 cups Chipotle Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Irish Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 16 ounces Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta
- Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs
- Fresh Sage or Basil
- In a large stockpot over a medium flame, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and continue to cook until a nice tan roux has formed. Try not to let the roux burn.
- Remove the stockpot from the heat and add in the milk. Place the stockpot back over the flame and allow it to simmer until thickened – about one minute.
- Add the pumpkin puree and shredded cheeses while stirring constantly to evenly mix and melt. Mix in the spices: cayenne, pepper and salt along with the Dijon mustard. Continue to simmer and stir until desired thickness.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, cook the pasta as directed – approximately 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and place in a large mixing bowl. Gently fold the sauce into the pasta to evenly coat. Serve warm.
- Note I have to say this was yummier the next day, I threw the leftovers in a baking dish and sprinkled the top with whole wheat Panko bread crumbs and baked it for about 15 minutes at 350°F – it was delicious!