If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Just an easier version of paella and much less worries about all things cooking perfectly together at the same time. For and easy but still elegant dinner. Mix and match your favorite shall fish or even fish (just let it cook a bit longer in the broth).
- 1/2 big onion diced small (+ the white part of the green onions)
- 1/2 bulb of fennel diced small
- 1 red or orange bell pepper diced small
- 3/4 cup of frozen pea or 1 cup of frozen green beans thawed
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 10 medium shrimps peeled and deveined, tail on
- 1/2 pound clams
- 1/2 pound mussels (preferably small)
- 4 medium tubes of calamari cut to 1/2 inch rings
- 1 -1.5 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of chopped tarragon
- 1 cup of clam juice or fish broth (or any other broth that you have or water)
- 1.5 cups of couscous
- 2 tablespoons of chopped green onion (only the green part)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Put the olive oil in a wide and deep skillet and add the chopped onion with a bit of salt. Cook on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes and add the fennel. Cook for 3-4 minutes and add the bell pepper. Cook for few more minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds.
- Add the turmeric and teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Bring the clam juice and a cup of water to almost a boil, by warming it in the microwave or on the stove. Add to the skillet.
- Add the shrimps, clams, mussels, parsley and tarragon to the skillet, mix and cover. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes until all the mussels and the clams opened (discard one that did not open).
- Add the calamari to the skillet and sprinkle the couscous into the liquid, try to incorporate it, as much as you can, under the mussels and the clams. Cover the skillet and take of the heat. Wait for 10 minutes or so until the couscous absorbed all the liquid.
- Transfer to a serving dish and fluff the couscous with a fork and arrange the clams and mussels nicely. Add salt if needed when you fluff the couscous. Sprinkle the green onion on top before you serve.
- You don't have to use all the different shall fish, you can even do this only with shrimps (even frozen if that's what you have). Or exchange the clams for more mussels or the other way around. Whatever you have or like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Couscous Dish
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.