Author Notes: This recipe is always predictable and delicious. All-season tomato soup that isn't heavy or super rich and pleases eaters of all ages.
I used Barefoot Contessa's Easy Tomato Soup recipe as my baseline, but adjusted it to make it less rich/oily/fussy. - susankuess
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook the diced onion in the olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir frequently for about 15 minutes or until onions turn golden brown. Stirring constantly, add the minced garlic and cook 1 more minute making sure to not burn the garlic.
- Add the chicken stock and can of tomatoes into the pot. Season with salt & pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the half & half and bring the soup back to a simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, warm bread, grilled cheese, dollop of goat cheese & pesto swirl....the list never ends.