Author Notes: A Christmas Eve event in Canadian homes. Warm and spicy pork pie served at home, with family after Midnight Mass. Joyeux Noel and enjoy. - Roger Dube
- 1.5 pounds Ground Pork Butts (I grind my own)
- 1 Large Russet Potato (largest you can find)
- 1 Large onion minced (I grind with the pork)
- 1 teaspoon *Each, Kosher salt, black pepper, ground clove, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Egg
- 1 Pastry recipe for 9" double crust
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika (for dusting)
- Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato
- Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour. Let cool to luke warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pastry and line a deep-dish pie plate with one crust.
- Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.
- *When it comes to the spices…..start with above then adjust to taste
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe