If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a ode to my dearest mom --- this is her favorite dish! A family heirloom recipe that has traveled from generation to generation, and East to West. Aka Alloo Gobhi boasts robust flavors, medicinal attributes, color & aroma therapy, and minimal ingredients. A traditional entree made in the Indian kitchen as a daily or weekly staple. I hope your family enjoys the subtleties of this vegetarian delight! —Currysutra
- 1 head cauliflower; cut into 1” pieces
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes; peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger; finely sliced or chopped
- 5-6 pieces garlic cloves; sliced or chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Currysutra curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili/cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional, vegans can omit)
- 1/2 teaspoon Currysutra garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- pinches black pepper (ground)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut & divide cauliflower into 1” florets; rinse thoroughly and drain.
- Heat oil in a wok or saucepan on medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Add ginger and garlic; fry for 1 minute.
- Add cumin seeds, turmeric, curry powder, salt and red chili powder/cayenne.
- Add cauliflower & potatoes; mix and stir evenly.
- And then, add water and stir.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until cauliflower and potatoes are tender.
- Add butter, reduce heat to low and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the cover/lid and increase the heat to get rid of any excess water.
- Add black pepper and stir slightly.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with garam masala, red chili pepper flakes, and fresh cilantro.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.