If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother's recipe adapted that she would serve on cold winter nights with a side of boiled potatoes and fresh rye bread. Like other simple recipes, the better your ingredients, the better your dish. Use quality bacon, smoked sausage ( I use Boars Head) and dried mushrooms (dried polish or porcini mushrooms) We make this once a year, so keeping all the bacon fat and sparerib grease adds flavor isn't an issue, but you can certainly cut the fat intake with turkey products. —loubaby
- 3 pounds (1 slab) pork sparerribs
- 4 garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 3 pounds green cabbage, shredded (16 cups)
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 ounce dried mushrooms, (about 1/2 cup), crumbled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound Smoked Polish Sausage, 1-inch thick half slices
- 1. Rub spareribs on both sides with crushed garlic, salt and pepper; place in shallow sided pan cook 300 oven for about 1 hour. Cut between each rib section into individual rib pieces.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in an extra large (14 inch) frying pan (or use 2 skillets) over medium heat 10 minutes to render fat; add onion and cook 10 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high or high; add cabbage and cook 10 minutes more. Add sauerkraut and mushrooms; season all with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes. (If you need to add some olive oil to prevent sticking, do so.)
- 1. Transfer mixture to large covered casserole; stir in sausage and spareribs. Cover and bake 325 about 1 ½ hours. This is a great make-ahead meal, as casserole is better if it sits another day before reheating.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.