If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is sweet, spicy, and perfect for the first course of a dinner party. My recipe was inspired my favorite soup at Applewood Restaurant (now closed). The addition of the curry paste is completely optional and really depends on your mood.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or yams
- 3 red jalapeño peppers, cut in half with seeds removed
- 2 shallots, course chop
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 - 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock, I use homemade
- 1 cup coconut cream or milk, make sure to use the boxed kind
- fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon massuman (red) curry paste
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for approximately 45 minutes until they are soft and sweet. Set aside.
- Then turn your broiler on high and place the jalapenos under the heat until they sizzle and blacken a bit. Spoon out the sweet potatoes and chop up the jalapenos.
- In your soup pot, sweat the shallots and jalapenos. Add the sweet potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. (Optional) Add the Massuman curry paste. Then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Add the coconut cream. Turn off the heat. Puree the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Then serve it garnished with cilantro leaves on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
Butter is better, Jacques Pépin, and more
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
This month's most pinned recipes.
Savor the season.