Author Notes: This recipe was very heavily adapted from a recipe by Curtis Aikens I found on the Food Network site and from my memory of the most delicious vegetarian spring rolls ever, I had at Trader Joe’s in Los Angeles. I know, I know, not the most glamorous or exotic of places to experience a vegetarian spring roll – but it was actually quite delicious and has been sitting in my mind ever since.
Curtis’ original Spring Roll recipe called for carrots, sprouts, napa cabbage and red peppers. I kept the carrots and napa cabbage but substituted cucumber, chives and cilantro for the other ingredients. He advised to leave the filling dry; I have added a little olive oil and soy sauce to add a little depth of flavor.
The Asian chile dipping sauce is my own creation from memory of that delicious little tidbit of dipping sauce in the tiny plastic tub I got at Trader Joe’s. Enjoy!
Makes aprox. 6 large spring rolls (you can adjust the size depending on what you like)
- 1 packet rice paper
- shallow dish hot water
- large carrot
- 1/2 large English Cucumber
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- 4-5 large leaves napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro
Asian Chile Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame chile oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar (I used Marukan - organic)
- 1/2 (large) clove crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon agave nectar or sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- For Spring Rolls: Julienne the carrot, cucumber and napa cabbage. I like to use a mandolin for the carrots and cucumbers. Thinly slice the cabbage by first slicing the thicker stems, then when you get to the softer upper part, roll it up and finely slice it.
- Cut the chives in half so they are about 2 inches long.
- Put all in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil and soy sauce to taste.
- Dip rice paper in hot water until soft and translucent. Lay out on a flat, smooth surface and arrange a small amount of the vegetable mixture in the center. Add a piece of cilantro on top of vegetable mixture. Fold up like a burrito (bring both side ends in over filling first then tuck end side over and roll up tightly). Place seam side down on serving dish
- For Dipping Sauce: Add all ingredients together in bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Place in small serving bowl.
- Dip and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe