If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have had bok choy in Chinese dishes but wanted to try out and come up with an Indian dish using this. And this dal tadka is a personal favourite since it reminds me of the Punjabi dhabas (roadside eateries) that I love to eat at. Usually, I prepare this dal just as such or using spinach but this time, I tried it with bok choy and the result was a delicious, creamy, perfectly spiced dhaba style dal tadka. —Dhanya Samuel
For the dal/lentils and tempering
- 1 cup White urad dal/Vigna mungo/white lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bok choy, trim and roughly chop leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 2 tomato, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons dhaba spice mix
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Pressure cook the dal with salt and turmeric up to 2 to 3 whistles (until mush).
- Cool, open and using the back of a ladle, mash to a creamy consistency.
- Add the bok choy leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Take off flame and keep aside.
- In a pan, take a tablespoon of butter; add the cumin seeds with ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the rawness disappears. Then add the onions and sauté till translucent. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and green chillies.
- Add the dhaba tadka mix. Cook until oil lightly separates from the edges.
- Pour the cooked dal and mix well. Cover and cook on low flame for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off heat and add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
Dhaba spice mix and tempering
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 piece cinnamon bark
- 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mace powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Dry roast the whole spices (cumin, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon) in a pan. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder,mace powder and roast some more.
- Cool a bit and make a fine powder of the spices. Use necessary amounts for the dish and store remaining if any in an air tight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
Freeze It Right There
Frozen desserts like they're meant to be
All we want is frozen dessert.
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Your poolside essentials.
Recipe of the Day