If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When eating alone, I like something simple, yet hearty and satisfying. Bacon and eggs are the ultimate comfort food but this meal is quite healthy- guilt free pleasure! I love all the different textures of this dish-the soft eggs, the firm lentils, the slight crunch to the vegetables. And the combination of flavors-the heat of the spices, the tang of the vinegar and the smoky salty bacon. This could be served for brunch, lunch or dinner making it really versatile. You can make the lentils ahead and just fry the eggs at the last minute-perfect for entertaining. —LLoquet
- 1 cup green lentils du Puy
- 1 bay leaf
- sprigs of thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces lardon-thick cut bacon cut into strips
- 1 onion
- 1 small bulb fennel
- 1 red pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon piment d'espelette
- 2-3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- sea salt
- Rinse lentils and cover with water in sauce pan. Add bay leaf and thyme. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until cooked-20 minutes. Drain and remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- While lentils are cooking-- dice all the vegetables and mince the garlic. Saute lardons in 1 T olive oil until crisp, remove from pan reserving fat. Add onions and sweat 2-3 minutes, then add remaining vegetables, garlic, salt to taste, curry powder and piment d'espelette. Cook until vegetables are slightly tender, adding more olive oil if needed. Add lardons back to mixture, add lentils, add vinegar to taste and remove from heat.
- In another saute pan, heat olive oil and fry eggs to order. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Serve over lentil salad (warm or at room temperature).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.