Author Notes: This is my favorite way to eat kale. I served it with a meal I brought to a friend after she had a baby. She and her husband loved it so much they decided to grow kale in their garden even though they had never really eaten kale in the past. The lemon imparts a wonderful tang to the kale and the walnuts give it a bit more substance. - Jay
Serves 2 large portions or 4 small sides
- 1 bunch Organic Kale chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon Bacon Grease or Lard (Preferably from pastured pigs)
- 2 cloves garlic cut in half and then sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small sauce pan toast the walnuts over low heat for 5-8 min, until fragrant. Chop into small pieces. Reserve.
- Heat the oil in larger pan ( I love to use my cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Add Kale and stir until it is lightly coated with bacon grease. Cook until wilted but not overly cooked (probably less than 5 min) when it seems almost done add garlic and continue to stir until the garlic smells amazing (about 1 min). Remove from heat. Toss with salt, lemon juice, and walnuts. Sit down and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens