If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A whole bunch of kale can quickly be turned into a gorgeously green pesto, flecked with toasted pepitas, a touch of cilantro and chili if you so desire. If I'm making it knowing the kids will be eating it I leave these out, but if I'm being greedy... I put them in, that way only I get to eat it. Naughty mum, I know.
As with any pesto this is wonderful stirred through cooked pasta, smeared onto toast, swirled through a bowlful of steaming hot soup or vegetable stew, or thinned down with a little extra lemon juice and olive oil and used as a wonderful dressing. I like to use the leaves and stalks of cilantro in my pesto, just chop up the stalks a little. By all means, use just the leaves if preferred. I've only come across white miso that's made with rice, but some miso pastes are fermented with wheat or barley, so double-check the ingredients if you are gluten-free. —Emma Galloway | My Darling Lemon Thyme
Makes 2 cups
- 1 bunch kale (approx 250-300g), washed, spun + stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup lightly toasted pepita seeds
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves + soft stems
- 1-2 green Serrano chilies, seeded + roughly chopped
- 185 milliliters extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white (shiro) miso paste
- Place kale, garlic, pepitas, cilantro and chilies, if using, into a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, you may need to stop it occasionally to scrape down the sides or move things around a little to get it all going. With the motor still running, drizzle in the olive oil in a steady stream. Lastly add the lemon juice and miso, give it one final whiz, taste and season with sea salt and black pepper. If not using straight away pack into a clean glass jar, cover with a thin film of olive oil and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.