If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my take on a hearty French vegetable soup with pistou/pesto using broccoli in the pistou instead of basil, which adds a delicious splash of flavor. The fun and wonderful thing about soups like this is that you can basically go wild with it and throw in whatever your heart desires (or whatever your fridge contains). Serve with extra pistou on the side, parmesan cheese, and crusty French bread for dipping. It tastes even better the next day! - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1 head of broccoli (separate florets, set stems aside for soup)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the broccoli florets and cook until slightly tender, but still crisp. Drain and put in ice bath to retain green color. Drain
- Add broccoli, parsley, garlic, nuts, cheese, salt and pepper to food processor. Process to create a not-quite-smooth mixture! While running processor, drizzle in olive oil until pistou reaches desired consistency.
Soupe au Brocoli Pistou
- 1 small onion- chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk- chopped
- 1 carrot- chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves-finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pat butter (about a teaspoon)
- 1 large russet potato- peeled and chopped into large chunks
- broccoli stems from pistou (plus additional broccoli if needed)
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups broth or stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 zucchini, chopped or sliced
- 2 cups white beans
- 1 cup green beans- cut into pieces
- 2 cups kale- chopped into pieces
- 1 cup whole wheat rotini
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, leek, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano, thyme, and about a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are caramelized (about 10 mintues...make sure they're good and caramelized, sticking to the bottom of the pot with a light brown color.)
- Add potatoes and broccoli stems, with a dash more salt, and cook, stirring, until softened for a minute or two.
- Add water and broth, turn up heat and bring to a boil- scrape browned caramelization from veggies off bottom of pot (for flavor!)
- Once boiling, add zucchini, green beans, kale, pasta, and white beans, and simmer, uncovered, until pasta is al dente and vegetables are tender.
- Stir half of pistou mixture into soup at the very end of cooking. Reserve other half of pistou for diners to add to their bowls to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Minestrone/Soupe au Pistou
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish