Author Notes: A very basic, endlessly customizable miso sauce, tossed with root vegetables, roasted until golden. Use whatever root vegetables you have handy -- almost anything works. On the miso paste: yellow miso -- the medium of misos -- would be great here. But I've used darker -- red -- miso here and liked it. If you want a milder flavor, use white. (Taste the mixture before you dress the roots -- if you want more miso flavor, add another tablespoon.) - Nicholas
- 2 pounds root vegetables, cut in roughly 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (see above)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey, if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or just oil it).
- Whisk together the miso, maple syrup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and oil. Toss the sauce with the cut-up root vegetables, coating them well. Transfer to the baking sheet and roast, turning periodically, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they are soft (but not mushy) and caramelized. Eat as soon as possible.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!