If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you come to metro Detroit for the first time, what’s the one thing you have to eat or drink? Answers will vary, from coney hot dogs to Faygo Red Pop to apple cider from our area’s many cider mills. If you ask me, I would tell you that you must have a chicken shawarma pita sandwich. Shawarma is very similar to gyros in preparation – the meat is marinated and roasted on a spit, or grilled. It is then served as a platter, or stuffed in soft pita bread slathered with garlic sauce.
Why is this uniquely Detroit? Thanks to our large Arab-American population, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Lebanese restaurants dot nearly every corner of our metro area. Many of them have names like Mr. Pita, Mr. Kabob and Kabob House. I never tire of chicken shawarma pitas, and here, I’ve adapted those flavors into a party-perfect dip. With seven layers of chicken shawarma meat, hummus, yogurt sauce, feta cheese, lettuce, onion and tomato, this Detroit-inspired dip will be a hit wherever you serve it! —foxeslovelemons
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Yogurt Sauce & Seven Layer Dip Ingredients
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup prepared hummus
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Pita chips, for serving
- Make Chicken Shawarma: In large ziploc bag, combine garlic, chicken, lemon juice, cumin, oregano, paprika, coriander, cinnamon and cloves. Seal and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken on rimmed baking pan and transfer to oven; cook 14 to 16 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, turning once halfway through cooking. Let cool; then coarsely chop chicken
- Meanwhile, make Yogurt Sauce: In small bowl, stir together yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- In trifle dish or large bowl, layer hummus, cheese, onion, chicken shawarma, yogurt sauce, lettuce and tomato. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 hours. Serve with pita chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.