Author Notes: I rarely eat alone, but when it happens all my lust to cook is gone. I love to cook for friends, my partner and family but when it’s just me I try to make something fast which makes little dishes. I can’t make something unhealthy or take out something, also premade things never entered the house so egg or pasta are the first things that pop into mind.
Egg it is this time… I made this egg in a bit of a Greek style since I saw some beautiful pictures of one of the Greek islands not so long ago with beautiful fresh food and ingredients which made me want to explore that country myself. This is a bit of a foretaste.
- Janneke Verheij
- 4 eggs
- 1 handful chestnut mushrooms
- 10 black olives
- 6 semi sun dried tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fettah cheese (goat)
- pepper, salt, parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Cut the onions in half rings, cut the garlic small, the mushrooms in quarters and the tomatoes in two.
- I use a terracotta oven dish which I also put on the fire to bake the onion before I put it in the oven (less dishes). Put some oil of the semi dried tomatoes in the dish and bake the onions until soft, add the mushrooms, the garlic and bake until the garlic smells lovely and the mushrooms have a little bit of a brown edge. Add the tomatoes and the olives and mix everything together.
- In a bowl mix the eggs with the oregano, pepper and salt. Be easy on the salt, we will add cheese later which makes the dish saltier already.
- Add the egg in the oven dish and mix everything together. Put nice chunks of fettah cheese on the egg and place it in the oven. Bake until the egg is set, this will take about 10 minutes. Garnish with some parsley and eat with a nice and crunchy fresh bread or some rocket on the side.
- Make sure that when you put your terracotta dish on the fire that you start with the lowest fire or it will break. If you want to be really careful, you can put it in water one hour before you use it but always heat it slowly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner