If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A thick, hearty, satisfying pot of chili that is 100% meatless. - Gena Hamshaw
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- One 8-ounce package tempeh, grated on the largest setting of a box grater, or crumbled finely
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup pureed tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup green onions or scallions, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, cook for a few minutes, and then add the tempeh. Cook till the tempeh begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the green pepper and celery and cook till they're tender, another 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Continue cooking another two minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, along with half a cup of water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the chili is fragrant, warm, and the flavors have come together (25 to 30 minutes). Add more water as needed, if the chili becomes too thick. Serve, sprinkled with green onion or scallions.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Home & design links we love.
Mortar and pestle perfection.