If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a very tasty treat or snack. I bought my first bag of boiled peanuts about one black away from the stadium where the Atlanta Hawks play basketball. Some people love boiled peanuts and others find them to be less than enjoyable but I love them enough to learn how to make them because they are hard to find up north. This recipe is a variation of a recipe found in New York magazine's November 2012 issue. - Karin Ward
- 1 pound green peanuts or regular peanuts in the shell
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon Red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup salt
- Green peanuts refers to fresh peanuts that were recently harvested from the fields. If you cannot find green peanuts then you can use other peanuts but your cooking time will be considerably longer. Rinse your peanuts with cold water before you begin to cook them.
- Once the water begins to boil. Reduce heat, cover the saucepan with a lid and allow the water to simmer. If you are using green peanuts your cooking time will be 1 to 2 hours. If you are using regular peanuts in the shell then your cooking time will be about 12 to 13 hours. Watch the peanuts as they cook because you might have to add more water. Green peanuts are clearly marked as such on the outside of their package and they are also in the shell.
- To serve boiled peanuts, spoon them into a small bowl or ramekin and crack the shell open to eat the peanut on the inside. The peanut should be the consistency or texture of a cooked kidney bean once it has been thoroughly cooked. The peanut shell should also be soft.
- If you do not eat the boiled peanuts in one sitting, you can refrigerate them for about a week or so and reheat them in a microwave or in a saucepan. Save some of the cooking water that was used for boiling the peanuts and you can reheat the peanuts in this water. The boiled peanuts can also be eaten cold.