If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am a soup lover and broccoli rabe is one of my favourite vegetables. This is a typical soup we make in Tuscany using winter vegetables and beans.You can also make it with other dark green leaf vegetables. - Maria Teresa Jorge
Serves 6 - 8
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed and shredded in pieces
- 2 cups cannellini or borlotti beans - cooked
- 4 cups bean cooking water
- 1 medium blond onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, inside green part removed and chopped finely
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed small
- 1 cup squash, peeled, deseeded and cut in small cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle on the soup for garnish
- 2 cups Surdough bread cut in pieces to serve
- Cook the beans with no salt until tender but not falling apart. Strain the beans reserving the cooking liquid. Reserve 1/4 of the beans whole. Purée the remaining 3/4 in a blender, adding enough cooking liquid. Reserve the remaining cooking liquid for the soup.
- Cut up the potatoes, carrot and squash in small pieces. Slice the onion and chop the garlic. Wash the broccoli rabe leaves and shred in pieces.
- In a large pot, add olive oil, the sliced onion and garlic and fry 2 minutes until translucent. Add the potatoes, carrot and squash. Stir and add 2 cups of the beans cooking water. Add a little salt and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the whole beans and the puréed beans, check the salt and cook for a further 15 minutes. Add more cooking liquid if necessary.
- Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 8 to 10 minutes - don't cover the pot because it makes the broccoli rabe turn brownish.
- Add a dash of freshly ground black pepper and mix.
- Serve with some cubed sourdough bread and garnish with a drizzle of Olive Oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish
As the Romans "Stew"
A rustic mix of seasonal vegetables
An Italian Spring Stew.
DIY Tabletop Garden
Go play outside!
DIY Herb Rubs
Eat Bagels for Lunch