If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I, like everyone else, love mashed potatoes, but I'm always looking for ways to lighten them up. I often add cauliflower, but broccoli provides a smoother texture and a beautiful color that pairs beautifully with lighter chicken and fish. - Savour
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 6 ounces broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 Meyer Lemon, zested
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Peel the potatoes and place them, whole in cold water in a large pan. Add a generous pinch of salt and place over high heat.
- Once the potato water is boiling, wash the broccoli florets and place in a steamer basket over the potatoes and cover (you can use a strainer that fits into your pan -- it's OK if some steam escapes.)
- Steam the broccoli until tender - 3-6 minutes. Remove from heat. Continue to cook the potatoes until tender -- 30-40 minutes. Drain, reserving some of the water.
- Place the broccoli in a bowl and using an immersion blender, puree the broccoli until it's mostly smooth. (You can also do this in a food processor).
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher. Add broccoli puree and butter, continue mashing. Mash and add reserved potato water until your potatoes are the texture you like. Taste for salt.
- Add parmesan and lemon zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Stew
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish