If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: No trip to Door County, WI is complete without Door County cherries. So if you ever get the chance to head up there, winter or summer, make sure you don't leave the peninsula prior to purchasing a jar. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a food processor or bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Add in butter and pulse (or use pastry cutter) until small pea-sized clumps form.
- Add water, and pulse (or use hands) until dough forms. Remove from bowl and knead with hands for a minute, making sure all dough sticks together.
- Cover in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to overnight.
For the filling and assembly
- 1 cup Door County cherries, no sugar added (or similar product)
- 3/4 cup cherry juice from jar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a small pot, heat cherries, cherry juice, and sugar until just starting to boil. Stir in corn starch and let thicken, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in brandy and stir. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roll out dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut into 4 squares, about 4 inches each side.
- Scoop cherry filling in the middle, dividing evenly among 4 squares.
- For each pastry, pinch corners into center from all four sides, and use your fingers to pinch together and seal in the filling.
- Brush pastries with egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown and cherries are oozing out those sides just a tiny bit.
- Let cool before serving.
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.