If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My CSA, Siena Farms, issued a kohlrabi challenge--to show how we cooked the kohlrabi from this week's box and share it with the community. I wanted to make soup. After scouring my cookbooks and food52, I did not see a recipe, yet, for a soup made with kohlrabi. Thanks to the reassurance and suggestions from food52 member, cupcakeprose, I got to work. Kohlrabi has the same texture as potatoes in a pureed soup and a nice flavor, with a hint of brassica. Thanks to my CSA, I have a lot of them in my fridge. We also have a good amount of beer. For this soup I used a porter. The cheddar cheese I used for finishing the soup also happened to be made with ale. It was delicious! —maryvelasquez
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large kohrabi, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2-1 cups beer (an ale works well; add what you like from the bottle and you can drink the rest)
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon mustard, or to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional but highly recommended)
- Melt the butter is a soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped leeks, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf and thyme sprig. Cook until the vegetables sweat and begin to caramelize.
- Add the kohlrabi to the pot, tossing to coat it with the other ingredients. Cook over low heat, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir the pot.
- Add the stock and beer. Let the soup simmer until the kohlrabi is soft enough that it breaks when pressed against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a standing blender. Stir in the mustard. Taste and correct for salt.
- Heat up the soup again and serve in bowls, topped with grated cheddar cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.