If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: All the vegetables I could find on the counter and in the crisper quickly simmered in a spicy red wine-tomato sauce flavored with cinnamon and cocoa. - Alyce Morgan
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 Onions, Chopped
- 2 Each: Carrots and Celery stalks, sliced
- Kosher salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Each: Red and yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup Eggplant, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Red Potatoes, small, diced
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder (I used Penzey's medium.)
- 1 tablespoon Each: Dried Oregano and Dried Basil
- 1 cup Each: Red wine and water
- 8 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 28-ounce cans Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 Each: 15-ounce Can Chickpeas and Black Beans, drained
- 1 Each: Small zucchini, yellow squash, and crown of broccoli, large dice
- 1 teaspoon Red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Limes, quartered, for garnish
- 2 cups Tortilla Chips, garnish
- Heat olive oil and crushed red pepper over medium flame in a 10-quart soup pot for one minute. Add onions, celery, carrots, with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until softening. Add garlic, bell peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, and potatoes. Season with chili powder, oregano, and basil. Cook, stirring, for 10-15 minutes or until nearly tender. Add wine and stir up bits at the bottom of the pot.
- Add water, vegetable broth, and tomatoes. Season with cinnamon, cocoa, and mustard; stir well. Stir in chickpeas, beans, zucchini, yellow squash, and broccoli. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook another 5 minutes or until squashes and broccoli are just becoming tender. Add wine vinegar and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot garnished with lime wedges and tortilla chips.
- Note: Gluten-Free--Check labels for spices, tomatoes, vegetable stock, beans, mustard, vinegar, and tortilla chips before using.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.