Author Notes: On nights when we have 20 minutes to fix dinner, this is invariably what I make. Am I embarrassed to say I use individually-wrapped American cheese? Not really. This dish is so easy, your kids can help you, or even make it themselves if they're old enough. - mrslarkin
Serves 4 or more
- 1 lb. elbows, mini shells, mini ziti or your favorite macaroni shape
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 8 - 10 slices individually-wrapped yellow American cheese (yup, the plastic-wrapped kind - a better quality brand if you can find, like Cabot's)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar or cheddar blend (not fat-free)
- 8 slices crispy bacon, roughly chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat cream in same pasta pot over medium/low heat. Remove plastic wrap from cheese and add to pot. Stir. Add remaining cheese and stir until melted.
- Taste for desired cheesiness. If not cheesy enough, add another slice or two of American cheese. If too thick, add another splash of cream.
- Return cooked pasta to pot and mix well with a gentle hand. Scoop into pasta bowls and serve with bacon sprinkled on top, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast