If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: On nights when we have 20 minutes to fix dinner, this is invariably what I make. Am I embarrassed to say I use individually-wrapped American cheese? Not really. This dish is so easy your kids can help you -- or even make it themselves if they're old enough. - mrslarkin
Food52 Review: WHO: How do we love thee, mrslarkin? Let us count the ways.
WHAT: A no-fuss, comforting pasta that’s true to its name.
HOW: Cook pasta; melt cheese in hot cream; toss; destroy.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This pasta doesn’t pussyfoot around. And why should it? It’s mac and cheese, straight up -- just like we ate as kids, and just what we want to eat for dinner, or lunch, or midnight snacks well into the future. Don’t you dare try to fancy this up. - The Editors
Serves 4 or more
- 1 pound elbows, mini shells, mini ziti, or your favorite macaroni shape
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 to 10 slices individually-wrapped yellow American cheese (yup, the plastic-wrapped kind -- a better quality brand if you can find it, like Cabot's)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup full-fat grated cheddar or cheddar blend
- 8 slices crispy bacon, roughly chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta to al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat cream in same pasta pot over medium low heat. Remove plastic wrap from cheese and add to pot. Stir. Add remaining cheese and stir until melted.
- Taste for desired cheesiness. If not cheesy enough, add another slice or two of American cheese. If too thick, add another splash of cream.
- Return cooked pasta to pot and mix well with a gentle hand. Scoop into pasta bowls and serve with bacon sprinkled on top, if desired.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.