Author Notes: Moist, fluffy, and sweet, this bread is equally good for breakfast, dessert, and tea time. - Gena Hamshaw
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, chopped into small pieces (heaping)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cups almond or soy milk
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water and allowed to thicken for a few minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Pour the boiling water over the dates and allow them to sit for at least ten minutes.
- As the dates soak, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar.
- Whisk together the vinegar and non-dairy milk vigorously, till it's frothy. Add the coconut oil and flax meal-water combination. Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ones until just mixed. Drain and fold in the dates, along with the walnuts. Add a splash of almond milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Pour into a 9 x 5-inch baking pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!