If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pickles are endlessly versatile, and such a breeze to make. It’s the pure magic of plain water, salt, sugar, and vinegar. These lovely pickled beets and onions with cinnamon and star anise can be used in all sorts of salads and sandwiches. Toss in some hard boiled eggs and you will end up with a gorgeous pink-tinted appetizer to make a colorful addition to your Easter menu and the perfect devilled-egg bar snack for every other day of the year. —Feed Me Dearly
- 3 large red beets
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white cider vinegar
- 2-4 pieces of star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 red onion sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon of salt (heaping)
- Place eggs in a small pot, covered with over an inch of water. Bring to boil, cover with lid, then remove from heat for 20 minutes. After letting the eggs sit, place into a bowl of ice water, then peel.
- Trim the ends off the red beets and place in a snug pot, cover with water, and place a lid on them. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for about 20-30 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Remove the beets from the water, and once cool, rub off the skins and slice into ¼ inch rounds. Do not discard the water.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot of purple beet water (except for the eggs and red onion). Place back on high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Into a large mason jar, add the peeled beets, cinnamon and star anise. Finally, add the eggs and red onion. Pour the pickling liquid over the jar’s ingredients.
- Store in refrigerator at least overnight before serving.
- NOTE: To make deviled eggs, follow any recipe you would normally use - cut in half, scoop our the yolk, mix with some mayo and/or other seasonings, heap back into the eggs and serve.
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.