Author Notes: A spring onion soup thickened with bread and just a few other ingredients...... simple but tasty if you're an onion fan! - inpatskitchen
Makes about 4 servings
- 4 cups very stale bread cubes from a nice rustic bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large spring/green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups rich chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup light cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Thinly slice the green onions keeping the light green and white slices separate from the dark green slices. Melt the butter in a medium soup pot and add the white and light green onions along with the minced garlic. Saute until all becomes soft and fragrant.
- Stir in the bread cubes and add the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring up to a boil and then down to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use and immersion blender to puree the soup and then stir in the cream and dark green slices of the onions. Bring up to a simmer and stir in the lemon juice and parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions