Author Notes: We throw a few of these on the grill every time we fire it up, though they're easily made on an indoor grill pan, as well. And talk about a no-recipe recipe. This is all method. Play around with the ratios as you see fit. It’s going to be really, really difficult to end up with a plum that tastes anything less than fantastic. - Emily Stoffel - the pig & quill
Serves 2-4 (you can easily scale this for a larger crowd)
- 5 plums, halved and pitted
- 1 good glug olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, plus additional for serving
- plenty of salt and pepper
- 4 ounces wedge Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled or in small hunks
- real maple syrup
- 1 handful toasted walnuts, chopped
- lightly dressed baby kale, or other greens, for serving
- Preheat indoor or outdoor grill. Arrange baby kale or greens (tossed with your favorite lightly flavored vinaigrette or a little balsamic and olive oil) on serving plates.
- Toss plum halves with olive oil, thyme, crushed red chili flakes and salt and pepper, to taste. Grill, cut-side-down, until well-marked, about 3-5 minutes. Flip plums and nestle gorgonzola into the center of each half. Cover and allow cheese to just melt, about a minute or two.
- Remove plums to salad greens and drizzle with maple syrup, crushed walnuts and additional chile flakes, if you’re feelin’ the heat. Serve warm.