Author Notes: Take a classic bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers, red onions and just tweak everything a little bit and you get this. Except the lox. Don't tweak the lox. Lox is perfect just the way it is. - fiveandspice
Avocado, lox, and pickled red onions on crispbread
- 2 pieces of crispbread (I like Wasa rye or sesame)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 4 to 5 pieces of lox (cold smoked salmon)
- Pickled red onions (see recipe below)
- Smash half of the avocado on each of the crispbreads. Top each with half of the lox and some pieces of pickled red onion. There you go!
Quick pickled red onion
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Stir together the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar in a bowl until the salt and sugar dissolve. This is easiest if the water and vinegar have been heated a bit first. Add the onions, and toss them to coat them with the vinegar mixture. Let them stand at least 30 minutes, tossing them again, now and then, before using.
- Once cool, you can store them in a covered container or jar in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!